Planting Work Party at SEUL

SE Uplift is building a pocket-park at 36th and Main, and would love to have help putting in some native plants!  For a few short hours we’ll plant a portion of the property and spread some mulch.  If you have some time to help turn what used to be an unmaintained grass patch into a beautiful native landscape, please stop by. The planting will take place from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Nov. 5 at 3534 SE Main.

Contact Tim at (503) 232-0010 ext. 313 or [email protected] for more information.

Crime Prevention Month Activities

To celebrate Crime Prevention Awareness Month, the City of Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement Crime Prevention Program and its public safety partners have planned a series of FREE events for the month of October.  No registration is required for these events.
Training: Bicycle Safety and Security

Wednesday, October 19th, 5:15-6:15pm

Multnomah County Building, 501 SE Grand

Learn how to protect your two-wheeler and yourself from traffic hazards and theft.

Contact: Havilah Ferschweiler, 503-823-0540, [email protected]
Forum: Public Transit Safety

Thursday, October 20th from 6:30-8:30pm

East Precinct, 737 SE 106th Avenue

Portland has a great public transportation system, but people don’t always feel safe riding it. This forum focuses on how to be safe waiting for, riding on, and exiting from buses and light rail.  Bring your questions.

Contact: Katherine Anderson, 503-823-3432, [email protected]
Clean Up: Graffiti Removal

Saturday, October 22nd from 9am-1pm

Mt. Scott Presbyterian Church, 5512 SE 73rd Avenue

Help improve the livability of your neighborhood and experience the satisfaction of removing graffiti.

Contact: Dennis LoGiudice, 503-823-9666, [email protected]

 

Turn-In: Gun Turn-In

Saturday, October 22nd, 10am-2pm

Rose Garden/Memorial Coliseum, Benton Parking lot

Turn in a working firearm and receive a $50 gift certificate from Ceasefire Oregon. Firearms will be destroyed.

Contact: Mary Tompkins, 503-823-4763, [email protected]

 

Party: Community Policing Reception honoring SW Portland officers

Monday, October 24th at 7pm

Multnomah Center, 7688 SW Capitol Hwy, auditorium

This annual reception honors the wonderful officers who patrol SW Portland.

Contact: Stefanie Adams, 503-823-3131, [email protected]
Hands-on: Engraving party

Wednesday, October 26th from 7-9pm

Kenton Firehouse, 8105 N. Brandon Street

Learn how to mark your property so you can reclaim it if it is stolen.  Bring items you’d like to engrave.

Contact: Mark Wells, 503-823-4098, [email protected]
Turn-In: Prescription Drug Turn-In

Sat, Oct 29th, 2011 from 10am to 2pm

3 locations: Fred Meyer, 7404 N Interstate; Fred Meyer, 1111 NE 102nd Avenue; and Portland State University, 1880 SW 6th.

Time to clean out the medicine cabinet! Dispose of unwanted meds while protecting young people and water quality.

Contact: Jenni Bernheisel, 503-823-2781, [email protected]

 

 

“Our logo states ‘Crime Prevention Around the Block, Crime Prevention Around the Clock,’ says Stephanie Reynolds, the manager of the City’s Crime Prevention Program at the Office of Neighborhood Involvement. “Even so, October is a stand-out month for us. Our staff has prepared a variety of trainings and events to celebrate Crime Prevention Awareness Month. There is something for everyone!”

Board Meeting on Thursday, Oct. 13

Here’s what’s on tap for this month’s general meeting. Please join us at 7 p.m. at Southeast Uplift, corner of 34th and SE Main.

  1. Introductions (3 min)
  2. Approve agenda, circulate August minutes (2 min)
  3. Sunnyside Tree Planting (Jeff Cole, 5 min)
  4. Leaf Day Overview (Grant Morehead, PDOT 10 min)
  5. Domestic Violence Awareness Month (Choya Adkison-Stevens, YWCA 5 min)
  6. Committee Reports (15 min)

Sustainability (?)
Land Use and Transportation (TJ)

Crime Prevention (HW)

Southeast Uplift (HW)

Treasurer’s Report (JP)

  1. Announcements (5 min)
  2. Approve minutes (2 min)
  3. Next meeting on November 10 / Newsletter articles (due Oct. 15)
  4. Adjourn

Neighborhood Leaf Day Information

By Grant Morehead/Portland Bureau of Transportation

One of the joys of living in Sunnyside is our virtual urban forest of trees, especially in the next few months when they’re ablaze with autumn color.

But with autumn comes falling leaves, and leaves can’t just be left on the ground. Not only are fallen leaves a slippery safety hazard to pedestrians, bikes, and cars, they also clog sewer drains and degradeasphalt, both of which take a lot of money to fix downstream. Enter Leaf Day, the Portland Bureau of Transportation’s leaf removal and recycling service for the city’s most tree-lined neighborhoods.

Incorporating suggestions from across Portland, this year’s “2.0” version represents a significant upgrade from last year, offering a lot more value for the $30 fee. For example, sweeper crews will now take any tree leaves, not just those from trees in your parking strip. Just rake them into the street the day before the crews come by.

Because our neighborhood tends to generate a large volume of leaves, we’ll get two Leaf Days, spaced about three weeks apart. Not all of Sunnyside is in a Leaf Service Zone, so to be sure, enter your address in the new Leaf Zone Locator at www.portlandonline.gov/leafday, which will be available when the new Web site is launched this fall. You’ll also be able to find service dates for your address, tips about how to get ready, online payment information, and a streamlined opt-out process if you’d like to manage the street leaves yourself.

One of those Leaf Day tips? Be sure to move your car and any other obstacles off the street on your Leaf Days. Since the sweeper machines can’t fit between and behind cars, you’ll get a better cleaning if they can get right to the curb.

SNA Board & General Meeting Minutes

SNA GENERAL MEETING 8/11/2011

Board members in Attendance: Reuben Deumling, Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Tim Brooks, Tony Jordan, Josh Palmer, Heather Wilson

Excused absences: Karen Hery, Paul Loney

Neighbors and Guests: Valerie Strickland, David McGarry

Reuben: Calls meeting to order at 7:04

1)      PDOT canceled, will come back in the fall, but Reuben briefed the leaf program. As he understands it, within our neighborhood there are only a few blocks in the program, one block in from Stark. It is an opt-out program, so unless you do this, you are in and pay fees.

 

2)      Tim motions to approve agenda, Heather seconds, agenda approved

 

3)      Crime Prevention Report– David McGarry with E. Precinct says the neighborhood is unique because of the boundaries. He has been a district officer for just a month or so.  He noted that ever since SE Precinct closed, they do rotate people to attend SNA meetings and to patrol the neighborhood in general.  But David reports that crime is slow. The biggest concerns have been the bars on Hawthorne. Transients on the Eastside of 39th have been quiet as well.

 

 

4)      Belmont Street Fair Volunteers – Tim announces new fair hours will be from noon to 8, also shares new lineup of 6 bands because of the expanded hours. On the Main Stage expanded kids’ activity area, bouncy houses, slides, mini-golf.

Also new, which we’ve discussed, is artist alley on 34th, which has been slow to fill up, but they get a half-price booth if they are interested.

Katie from Hall of Records (Belmont St. Fair co-chair) and Tim have been meeting every week. Tim asks for help circulating posters.

 

Anyone interested in volunteering needs to contact board member Josh. There is a need for volunteers. Josh is hoping for a lot of interest within the last month for this.

 

5)      Non-conforming sewer updates – In response to neighborhood concerns, Reuben reports Commissioner Saltzman has put out a flyer explaining the issue that shows private sewer lines, the city’s main line and the city’s lateral line.

$64,000 is wanted from just Reuben’s block alone.

BES, Saltzman have stopped the program and admit that it should be done better.

At this point, people are being billed for the public portion between $6,000 and $18,000. Reuben says more will be said on this issue.

 

6)      Committee Reports:

Sustainaibilty – nothing to report

 

LUTC – Tony reports discussion of the Portland Plan, Comprehensive Plan is moving forward, City officials coming along in the fall, they would like to review neighborhood plans. There is nothing they can do right now.

 

Walgreen’s is doing what it wants to do on its private property.

If they were applying for an encroachment into the setback, neighbors would oppose it.

SNA encourages neighbors to work for creative solutions with government officials.

Tony is going to start posting a LUTC agenda online to ensure public participation in LUTC

Discussed potential to talk about GNAs, saturation and the nature of Belmont Biz in the future.

 

SEUL – nothing to report

 

Treasurer’s Report – Balance is about $7,000. Josh says everything is good.

 

Announcements – Back to School Exchange fliers distributed

 

This Friday at Sewallcrest Park in Richmond is the Japanese monster film with the orchestra performing and doing all the sound.

 

The Old Waverly School in Richmond is interested in purchasing it, developing it and tearing down that building. Maybe seeing if the building could be saved and repurposed.

Building is on Woodward, a few blocks off of Clinton.

 

7)      Bill motions, Gina seconds, motion carries to approve July minutes, Tim abstains

8)      Tony motions, Josh seconds, motion carries, Heather abstains minutes from June

 

Meeting adjourned at 7:44 P.M.

SNA BOARD MEETING MINUTES 8/11/2011

Board members in Attendance: Reuben Deumling, Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Tim Brooks, Tony Jordan, Josh Palmer, Heather Wilson

Excused absences: Karen Hery, Paul Loney

Reuben: Calls meeting to order at 7:50

1)      Belmont Street Fair Agreement – Tim feels the street fair could definitely raise some funds for the SNA.

 

There was discussion of BABA’s emphasis that the agreement cover the 50/50 sharing of any profits or losses from the fair, but concerns were raised that BABA continues to fall short of its commitment to share responsibilities for the work that is needed. Board members noted that the lion’s share of the tasks that are not being completed by Tim and Katie and paid contractor TSG are being done by SNA board members and volunteers.

 

Bill moves to support the draft agreement Tim has brought forth this evening, Tony seconded.

Heather amends the motion to reflect that enables Tim has the leeway to make minor adjustments as necessary.
Bill accepts the amendment, Tony seconds it.

 

Motion passes unanimously

 

2)      Belmont Street Fair Volunteer Status – Josh, maybe we could approach biz directly. Hey, could we get one volunteer from your biz for this day? Give them shifts, tasks, etc. that they could sign up for.

 

General discussion on how best to recruit volunteers, give them shifts, specific tasks, etc.

 

3)      Succession planning – write up descriptions, put things online as much as possible for the treasurer.

 

Will get to this by fall, some sooner, some later

 

4)       Need to loop back with George to discuss grant for our neighborhood group for the unemployed

 

5)      SNA agreed to write a letter of friends in support of community gardens – Gina will write the letter

 

 

6)      Update on Walgreen’s letter, which is still in the works as we await Walgreen’s latest proposal.

 

7)       Heather asks for a Blair Community Garden update on signage updates. Tim says we are looking for an artist who would design and make such a sign.

Discussion begins whether SNA should vote to decide whether to seek bids, match Dane’s $1,000 pledge (or contribute some amount) for the SNA sign at Blair Community Garden

 

Heather will measure the dimensions, take pictures put this on the agenda for October.

Send out a call for bids in the next newsletter

Minimum things we need on there, put all of that together, and we can vote on. Take a picture of one at HAND, TABOR, etc. so we can decide what we like, not like, etc.

 

Meeting adjourned 8:40.