The Groves Church has generously opened up their shower facilities for houseless neighbors to use on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-5PM and Saturdays from 2-6PM.
The Church has very strict COVID protocols on which our continued use of the facility depends. Volunteers and participants must wear masks and remain 6 feet apart at all times (except while showering). Everyone must also sign in and out with their name and how to contact them so the church can do contract tracing if necessary.
Volunteer shifts run from 1pm – 3pm and 3pm – 5pm, each shift requiring two volunteers. Each participant will be given up to 30 minutes in the facility and no more than 10 minutes in the shower (it is an old building with limited hot water). You will be asked to:
- Help participants sign in and provided required contact tracing information on the intake form provided.
- Distribute and collect towels, washcloths and any other supplies (we have toiletries, razors, clean underwear & socks).
- Ensure timeliness (after 20 minutes in the facility give the person a 5 minute warning. Usher the person along at 30 minutes).
- Clean shower area between uses (spray down shower area, clean hair trap and wipe down the shower and sink with Soft Scrub).
- Facilitate entry (while one volunteer is cleaning, the other volunteer goes outside to collect the next person. If that person is not there or can’t be found, you can go to the next person on the list or the “back-up” list.)
- Launder dry goods. (The final shift of volunteers should throw the towels and washcloths into the washing machine with 3/4 a cup of bleach. One of our nearby volunteers will put the towels in the drier for us!)
- Firmly close the front door (Yamhill entrance) behind you.
- Only one participant and two volunteers are allowed in the facility at a time.
- Only one person in the shower area at a time.
- Participants may only take a change of clothes into the shower room. Other belongings should be placed outside the shower room.
Please contact Hannah Wallace – firstname.lastname@example.org – for more information and to volunteer.