Belmont Street Fair Needs Volunteers

The Belmont Street Fair still needs volunteers for the day of the event — Sept. 10. That’s coming up soon!

If you can help with Set Up (from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), Hosting (from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.), Hosting/Wrap Up (from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.) there is still space.

Everyone is invited to a pre-party tonight, Sept. 3, at the Hall of Records on Belmont to get acquainted and go over further details.

All volunteers will receive a free T-shirt with the groovy, new Imagine logo. To sign up, call SNA board member and Street Fair Volunteer Czar Josh Palmer at 503.367.1000 and leave him your name, number and hours you want to volunteer. Thanks so much for you interest in this amazing community event. Hope to see you there!

 

SNA Board & General Meeting Minutes

SNA BOARD MEETING MINUTES

JULY 14, 2011

Board Members in Attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Heather Wilson, Karen Hery, Josh Palmer, Reuben Deumling, Tony Jordan,

Excused Absences:  Tim Brooks

Reuben calls meeting to order at 8:11

1)      Sunnyside Methodist Dining Hall Renovation – Karen speaking as Sunnyside Swap Shop facilitator and church liaison requests $200 from the SNA to show neighborhood support and help them secure a matching grant.  Karen thought the SwapShop could contribute $200, and felt it is reasonable for the SNA to contribute $200.

 

The grant the church members are seeking will fund the replacement of the water heater, dishwasher and cabinets and enable new floors, repairing of stoves. When it’s done, it will hopefully last another 50 years.

Bill believes is is reasonable if it fits SNA guidelines and fiscal responsibilities.

Reuben:  Notes that we don’t get very many requests, and generally they are on the order of this magnitude.

Heather requests for an abridged budget tutorial to ensure funds are being allocated properly and within guidelines. Reuben says that during his tenure (5 years), there have been only a handful of such requests: The Mt. Tabor concerts, The Gulliver’s Travels movie, tree planting, a gift for SEUL (totaling $765) and $1300 to Blair Garden

 

Bill makes motion that SNA donates $200 to the church to help them receive a matching grant for kitchen renovations. Gina seconds. Motion carries with 5 ayes. Karen and Heather abstain from the vote.

Meeting adjourns at 8:32 p.m.

 

 

 

SNA GENERAL MEETING MINUTES

JULY 14, 2011

Board members in Attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Heather Wilson, Karen Hery, Josh Palmer, Reuben Deumling, Tony Jordan, Paul Loney

Excused Absences:  Tim Brooks

Guests & Neighbors:  Chuck Lawrence, Candee Clark, Cary Page, Massene Mboy, Roger Jones, Manuel Muro, G. Hartley

Meeting called to order at 7:06

1— Introductions

2 – Representatives of the International Leadership Academy detail reasons why they would love to open the French School in the Methodist Church on Yamhill.

Run by a University professor at PSU, the school would take kids age 4-7, beginning with a staggered arrival at 7 a.m. School officially ends at 3:30, but after school care continues until 6:30 p.m. with a staggered dismissal.

The goal  is that most students would come from the neighborhood and that the school will bring a valued service to the neighborhood, teaching much more than French. Please visit www.ila-pdx.org for more information.

The initial goal is to house no more than 30 students. The tuition is set for those with moderate means, and once established, the goal is to obtain scholarships from the French ministry for students of French heritage and then expand beyond those parameters.

Heather expressed concerns about all of the car traffic coming into the area with all of the different uses now at the church.

Karen stated there is a rotating schedule through the gym and other church facilities, in an effort to make sure that even on a rainy day, every kid has a place to be. She also stated the gym was underutilized during the week.

ILA reps said that eventually they hope to be a larger school, in a larger facility, but the church would be able to replace us because the church building would retain the permit necessary to house a school, which could mean greater resources for public school kids in addition to SES as well as an aftercare program, which reaches capacity at SES quite quickly.

2—Neighborhood Crime Report: Tom Rhoades, of PDX  Police says he has no crime stats to provide, but he is here to take concerns.

Josh – Asked him if there is anything to be done re: homeless folks at 35th and Alder, who have hanging out drinking on the side of the street. Tom said that anytime you see someone drinking in public like that, call the non-emergency hotline. They can be cited and detoxed.

Josh also mentioned that friends had a rather expensive stroller stolen right there on Alder, off of their porch. Tom says that if people don’t lock stuff up on their porches, they can and frequently are, taken.

3 – Update on the non-conforming sewer situation. Reuben reported that roughly 100 households have non-conforming sewers according to BES. They were asked to pay money to have a proper  sewer put in the street, not including hookup fees and permit costs.

Reuben has been in touch with officials, and BES and City Commissioner Dan Saltzman have decided to do things differently.  Reuben said he has a meeting with Saltzman next week and will keep us informed.

Reuben reported that people felt blindsided by the city letters and like they weren’t given any options other than to pay X amount. They are wondering whether any action is necessary.  Nonconforming sewers include party line and private line in the public right of way., which is not in the city’s books, and has been working for at least a century.

Neighbors are asking for better communication and to participate at some level.  All are sensitive to the need to be proactive and bring sewers up to code before they break. But the present process is flawed.

4. Committee Reports:

Sustainability Committee.

Reuben said they are shifting from Emergency Preparedness, back into transition neighborhoods. We are working in the background, slowly and steadily how our neighborhood could wean ourselves off of fossil fuels.

Land use and Transportation –

Tony said he was the only one to attend the LUTC meeting this month. He went to a SEUL meeting last month and asked what can be done about the Walgreen’s situation. Their main suggestion was for the SNA to draft a note and submit a non-supporting document, but Tony hasn’t heard anything about the permit yet.

SEUL –

Heather mentioned that the Willamette Pedestrian coalition is in the process of contacting all Neighborhood Associations about the state of walkability in the city.

Heather says SEUL wants to know about parking violations, blocking intersections, etc.  She also learned that Commissioner Amanda Fritz wants to be invited to neighborhood functions. We discussed inviting her to the Street Fair.

Heather said SEUL wants to know if they increased their budget to have a paid neighborhood staff member, how NA would feel about that.

SEUL also wants us to document community volunteer hours better. If we included that on our check in list, PDX would have a higher ranking for volunteer hours, which would increase eligibility for grants and other things.

Treasurer’s report–

Josh:  Met with Jane, former treasurer and will have a report for us next month.

5. Roger:  Asked the Board to help Save the Hawthorne mural and reported the potential destruction of a tree on 29th and Taylor. The owner wished to cut it, but surrounding neighbors want it to remain. A meeting was set for July 21 to discuss the fate of the 100-year-old Deodar Cedar.

Meeting adjourned at 8:09

 

 

SNA GENERAL MEETING MINUTES

JULY 14, 2011

Board members in Attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Heather Wilson, Karen Hery, Josh Palmer, Reuben Deumling, Tony Jordan, Paul Loney

Excused Absences:  Tim Brooks

Guests & Neighbors:  Chuck Lawrence, Candee Clark, Cary Page, Massene Mboy, Roger Jones, Manuel Muro, G. Hartley

Meeting called to order at 7:06

1— Introductions

2 – Representatives of the International Leadership Academy detail reasons why they would love to open the French School in the Methodist Church on Yamhill.

Run by a University professor at PSU, the school would take kids age 4-7, beginning with a staggered arrival at 7 a.m. School officially ends at 3:30, but after school care continues until 6:30 p.m. with a staggered dismissal.

The goal  is that most students would come from the neighborhood and that the school will bring a valued service to the neighborhood, teaching much more than French. Please visit www.ila-pdx.org for more information.

The initial goal is to house no more than 30 students. The tuition is set for those with moderate means, and once established, the goal is to obtain scholarships from the French ministry for students of French heritage and then expand beyond those parameters.

Heather expressed concerns about all of the car traffic coming into the area with all of the different uses now at the church.

Karen stated there is a rotating schedule through the gym and other church facilities, in an effort to make sure that even on a rainy day, every kid has a place to be. She also stated the gym was underutilized during the week.

ILA reps said that eventually they hope to be a larger school, in a larger facility, but the church would be able to replace us because the church building would retain the permit necessary to house a school, which could mean greater resources for public school kids in addition to SES as well as an aftercare program, which reaches capacity at SES quite quickly.

2—Neighborhood Crime Report: Tom Rhoades, of PDX  Police says he has no crime stats to provide, but he is here to take concerns.

Josh – Asked him if there is anything to be done re: homeless folks at 35th and Alder, who have hanging out drinking on the side of the street. Tom said that anytime you see someone drinking in public like that, call the non-emergency hotline. They can be cited and detoxed.

Josh also mentioned that friends had a rather expensive stroller stolen right there on Alder, off of their porch. Tom says that if people don’t lock stuff up on their porches, they can and frequently are, taken.

3 – Update on the non-conforming sewer situation. Reuben reported that roughly 100 households have non-conforming sewers according to BES. They were asked to pay money to have a proper  sewer put in the street, not including hookup fees and permit costs.

Reuben has been in touch with officials, and BES and City Commissioner Dan Saltzman have decided to do things differently.  Reuben said he has a meeting with Saltzman next week and will keep us informed.

Reuben reported that people felt blindsided by the city letters and like they weren’t given any options other than to pay X amount. They are wondering whether any action is necessary.  Nonconforming sewers include party line and private line in the public right of way., which is not in the city’s books, and has been working for at least a century.

Neighbors are asking for better communication and to participate at some level.  All are sensitive to the need to be proactive and bring sewers up to code before they break. But the present process is flawed.

4. Committee Reports:

Sustainability Committee.

Reuben said they are shifting from Emergency Preparedness, back into transition neighborhoods. We are working in the background, slowly and steadily how our neighborhood could wean ourselves off of fossil fuels.

Land use and Transportation –

Tony said he was the only one to attend the LUTC meeting this month. He went to a SEUL meeting last month and asked what can be done about the Walgreen’s situation. Their main suggestion was for the SNA to draft a note and submit a non-supporting document, but Tony hasn’t heard anything about the permit yet.

SEUL –

Heather mentioned that the Willamette Pedestrian coalition is in the process of contacting all Neighborhood Associations about the state of walkability in the city.

Heather says SEUL wants to know about parking violations, blocking intersections, etc.  She also learned that Commissioner Amanda Fritz wants to be invited to neighborhood functions. We discussed inviting her to the Street Fair.

Heather said SEUL wants to know if they increased their budget to have a paid neighborhood staff member, how NA would feel about that.

SEUL also wants us to document community volunteer hours better. If we included that on our check in list, PDX would have a higher ranking for volunteer hours, which would increase eligibility for grants and other things.

Treasurer’s report–

Josh:  Met with Jane, former treasurer and will have a report for us next month.

5. Roger:  Asked the Board to help Save the Hawthorne mural and reported the potential destruction of a tree on 29th and Taylor. The owner wished to cut it, but surrounding neighbors want it to remain. A meeting was set for July 21 to discuss the fate of the 100-year-old Deodar Cedar.

Meeting adjourned at 8:09

 

 

ReDirect Guide Aiming for Baby Carrying World Record

The ReDirect Guide proudly announces the 6th annual Green Sprouts Organic Baby and Family Festival on September 25th at Peninsula Park. Green Sprouts is a  community-oriented event that celebrates natural and healthy options for expecting parents and young families.

The free one-day festival will promote lead awareness and poisoning prevention, eco-friendly products, natural & healthy options for birthing and raising children, along with featuring many fun family activities. Exhibits from local green businesses and seminars focusing on natural and healthy child-rearing will round out the festivities at this joyful event.

Previous vendors have enthusiastically shared feedback that they have seen more parents at Green Sprouts wear baby carriers than in any other place or event. ReDirect wants to celebrate this phenomenon by setting the world record for the most persons (moms and dads) to be wearing baby carriers. At 1pm, ReDirect will video record parents fashioning slings, wraps, backpacks, and alike at the music stage. The slings must contain a child between the ages of birth to 14 months.

This record has never been attempted before; therefore ReDirect has a great chance of setting the record this year!  Green Sprouts will be held at Peninsula Park, a close-in North Portland park that features attractions for all ages. Families attending this event can enjoy local organic fare, live music and entertainment, the Baby and Children’s Clothing swap, Cotton Babies Diaper Dash,  Alma Midwifery Education & Movement Seminar Series, arts and crafts, as well as other child-parent activities.

For more information, seminar schedules and a full list of activities, please visit www.GreenSproutsFest.com.  Admission is free.

SNA Board Meeting Minutes

Board members in Attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Paul Loney, Tim Brooks, Tony Jordan, Josh Palmer, Karen Hery

Excused Absence:  Heather Wilson

Neighbors and Guests: Vincent Dawans, Mary Ann Schwab

Reuben: Calls meeting to order at 8:08.

  1. Reorder of agenda. Walgreen’s Drive-thru discussion comes first.

 

Vincent recaps neighbor involvement to date.

 

Paul reports that because we do not have Walgreen’s official proposal, we are unable to oppose it. As a neighborhood, we can say we would oppose a drive-thru at the location on two transit streets, which city code treats differently.

 

Tim says he has spoken with planners, and the Walgreen’s project remains the same. As he understands it, they are waiting to confirm the valuation threshold to determine whether non-conforming permits are necessary.

 

Vincent:  Says he wants the public to focus on the fact that we are not anti-corporation and points out that corporations, like Fred Meyer, have been able to engage the community in their projects.

 

Tim motions that the board write a letter to be signed by Reuben that raises both conceptual, broader, Sunnyside neighborhood issues, as well as any specific issues that the land-use committee members (Tim, Paul Tony) identify related to reduction of the buffer zone.

 

Bill seconds.

 

Motion carries with four votes. No nos, no abstentions.

 

  1. Seating of New board members and officer elections

Paul  motions to accept new board members written signatures of Code Of Ethics of the SNA submitted within one week of the 6/9 meeting.  Gina seconds.

Four members vote yes.

 

  1. Officer Elections

Reuben recaps our board retreat and officer/duty discussions.

 

Tim nominates the slate of candidates for the following offices: Reuben remains president, Paul Loney serves as Vice President, Gina is secretary and Josh is Treasurer. Bill seconds with the informal qualification that Paul and Reuben will be acting as co-presidents.

 

Motion carries with 8 votes.

 

 

 

Other duties are as follows:

Chair of newsletter: Gina Binole

BABA Rep: Karen, Michele

HBBA: Karen, Gina

SEUL: Heather Wilson, Mary Ann Schwab

SEUL Land Use – Paul & Tony

Site Council – Karen

Communications Czar – Gina & Tony

Newsletter Layout – Tony

Belmont Street Fair – Tim, Katie, Josh

Peacock Lane – Bill

Sunnyside Piazza – Bill

Karen – SNA Food & Josh

Newsletter proofreader –Gwyneth

8 vote yes

 

  1. New agenda item added at request of neighbor Mary Ann Schwab – She expresses concern over the number of cell phone towers on neighborhood buildings. No one was ever done a radiation check to determine safety/health results.

No action taken.

 

  1. Belmont Street Fair Planning & the BABA agreement.

 

Tim and Bill discuss the need for an agreement between BABA and the SNA.  Bill says he was at a BABA meeting that morning, which clarifies that everything is 50/50, and there will be a street fair account separate from BABA and the SNA. The goal is to share liabilities as well as profits.

 

Paul motioned, Bill seconded and friendly amended. The board unanimously (8-0-1 absent) approved a motion that Tim Brooks serve as the SNA board’s Belmont Street Fair co-coordinator, along with BABA representatives. As such, he is authorized to draft a budget, sign checks and execute financial decisions on behalf of the SNA not to exceed $18,000. Any funding from the SNA that would exceed that amount requires additional board review. Tim also will provide monthly street fair financial reports to the board.

 

The board also discussed, but did not formally vote on its support for, a local, community-based event that celebrates the culture, character, spirit and enterprise of the SNA, BABA and surrounding stakeholders.

 

Karen added that she hopes the bouncy house will at least break even, rather than be a street fair cost this year and will keep us updated.

 

  1. Support of the Sunnyside Piazza.

 

Reuben: suggests the board support the annual painting of the sunflower with a symbolic endorsement.

 

Karen motions, Tony seconds that the board support the endeavor with a matching grant not to exceed $100 for 2012. So, if the neighborhood raises $100, the SNA will chip in $100.

 

  1. Bagdad Movie Fundraiser: Reuben outlines two options for the board as presented earlier by Allen Field, one is to go with the movie the Bagdad is showing anyway for $3 and split the entry fee.

 

The other option is to select a movie and charge a higher entry fee.

 

Tony motions to go with whichever movie is playing and promote it heavily. Gina seconds.

 

Motion carries with 7 votes. Tim opposes the motion.

 

Meeting adjourned 9:12

 

 

Public Input Sought In Investigation of Portland Police

The U.S. Department of Justice seeks community input for their investigation of the Portland Police Bureau. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Oregon, in conjunction with the Special Litigation Section of the Civil Rights Division, will conduct individual interviews with members of the public during the first week in August in three locations throughout Portland.

 On June 8, the Justice Department opened a civil investigation to determine whether the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) has engaged in a pattern or practice of use of force which amounts to a violation of civil rights.
 
Any individual that has specific and recent information they would like to share with the Department about their personal interaction with PPB officers may request an individual meeting at one of three locations in downtown, the outer east-side, or north Portland. To request an individual meeting, please contact the U.S. Attorney’s local Civil Rights Hotline at either 503- 471-5577 or by email at usaor.civilrights@usdoj.gov. While space and time are limited for the interviews, the Justice Department welcomes information from any individual through the email and toll free number listed below.
Throughout the course of the investigation, the Justice Department will seek to determine whether there are systemic violations of the Constitution or federal law by officers of the PPB. The Justice Department will consider all relevant information, particularly the efforts that Portland has undertaken to ensure compliance with federal law. The Justice Department has taken similar steps involving a variety of state and local law enforcement agencies, both large and small, in jurisdictions such as New York, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia, Louisiana and California.
 
The Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division, Special Litigation Section and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Oregon are jointly investigating this matter. Individual meeting times are limited, but the department welcomes any information from the community. If you have any comments or concerns, but are unable to make an individual appointment, please feel free to contact us at community.portland@usdoj.govor 1-877-218-5228.