Gulliver’s Travels: A benefit for Sunnyside

Musicians, Voice Actors and Sound Effect Artists Bring Magic to Classic Animation Film Gulliver’s Travels in Benefit Fundraiser for Richmond and Sunnyside Neighborhood Associations

On Sunday, September 19, 2010, the Richmond and Sunnyside Neighborhood Associations and Filmusik will present a special showing of the 1939 animation film classic Gulliver’s Travels at the Bagdad Theater for a fundraising benefit for the two neighborhood associations.  A very special feature of the film is that the entire soundtrack to the film will be recreated live through a 20 person crew that will include 4 cartoon voice-over actors, sound effects (Foley) artists, and the Filmusik Chamber performing an original music score – – every line, song, and sound from the movie will be recreated live in front of the audience.

Filmusik presented this production for a 4-night run at the Hollywood Theater to rave reviews.  Due to the immense popularity of the Hollywood shows, the Sunnyside and Richmond Neighborhood  Associations will reprise this production for one more night  — don’t miss it.  McMenamins is donating the use of the Bagdad Theater for this benefit fundraiser.  Tickets will be $10. Buy Now!

Filmusik is a collaborative performance group of local musicians, composers and actors creating unique movie experiences by performing original soundtracks for classic films. Filmusik recently teamed up with the Richmond Neighborhood Association and Portland Parks and Recreation to show the silent film dinosaur classic Lost World in Sewallcrest Park as part of the Portland’s summer Movies in the Park program.

Thursday September 9th Neighborhood Meeting

SNA General Meeting Agenda

September 9, 2010, 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.

  1. Introductions (3 min)
  2. Approve agenda, circulate minutes (2 min)
  3. P:EAR Mural project (Rodolfo Serra/Esteban Camacho, 10 min)
  4. Belmont Street Fair – logistics, tasks (10 min)
  5. Bagdad film/fundraiser (5 min)
  6. Committee Reports (15 min)

Land Use and Transportation

Crime Prevention

Southeast Uplift

  1. Approve minutes (2 min)
  2. Next meeting on October 14
  3. Adjourn

Crossing Belmont Street

From Darvel Lloyd, Chair  S.E. District Senior Advisory Council

Accident on August 11th

As you may know, another major pedestrian accident occurred on August 11th in front of our S.E. Multicultural Service Center, in which an elderly Loaves and Fishes client had just finished lunch and was struck by a car while attempting to cross Belmont St. He ended up in the hospital with a broken leg and other injuries.  This makes three serious accidents in that block in the last year-and-a-half.  We have waited a long time for a pedestrian safety improvement here (at least 8-9 years!!), but FINALLY  it is about to happen, thanks to all of your advocacy efforts (and patience)!

Construction timeline

Both the Mayor’s Office and Kyle Chisek (POBOT Engineer in charge) just told me that our project is “next on the list” and construction will begin within the next two weeks–as soon as a school project is finished.  Kyle said that a number of city transportation projects were delayed because of the cool spring and early summer.

Speed limit reduction on Belmont?

After this latest accident occurred, I e-mailed the Portland Bureau of Transportation, requesting their safety experts to seriously consider lowering the 30 mph speed limit in that 2-3 block stretch of Belmont Street (from 44th Ave. to 47th Ave.) to

July 9, 2010 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order 8:25

1. Approve agenda, minutes – tabled until next meeting

2. Actions on Blair Community Garden? – no actions to take

3. Time management during meetings – ideas – Need to be equitable and fair, particularly to people showing up later in the agenda. Talked about various time-keeping items, chimes, clocks, timekeepers, etc. Just say in the beginning of the meeting, for the sake of equity. Bill made a motion that we start using a timer set for each section, agenda item, based on the pre-written amount and that’s a simple guide to keep us on time. We will check in on time in a few months and guide our progress. We indicate during general announcements. Heather seconded the motion. The only caveat Jane mentioned would be that to be too rigid, would not be good. Need to have some flexibility if emotions are running high and not just cut people off. Tim abstained.

4. Finance subcommittee report does not exist because it has not met. Would like to support the Fresh Exchange, but hesitant to do so without this report. Let’s not discuss this further if we’re not going to do anything with it. One option is contingent is that provided that the committee says we’re OK, the board would like to support this at some level.

5. Sponsorship of Fresh Exchange for One Month. Will table this until the committee comes up with its guidelines. The finance committee will come up with a date before we leave this room to meet.

6. Newsletter articles —

7. Other Business – mason jars – Bill will bring it up to BABA, this land is our land sponsored by SEUL, 7 p.m. Thursday the 29th. WAMA just be aware.SEUL handbook, how to make the meetings are more friendly. If people feel like they can’t come, can’t find a sitter. A volunteer opportunity to participate. Would check that out. Advertised in back-to-school things.

8. Adjourn

July 9, 2010 General Meeting Minutes

Sunnyside Neighborhood Association General Meeting

Thursday, July 9, 2010

Southeast Uplift, 3534 SE Main St. Portland OR 97214 Board Members Present: Tim Brooks, Reuben Deumling, Chuck Lawrence, Bill Stites,

Heather Wilson, Jane Pullman Board Members Absent: Michele Gila, Paul Loney,

Neighbors and Guests: Karen Hery, Spikos Koyanis, Masaye Hoshide, Mike Boeder, Anna Halpin, Bill Wheeler, Martha Wheeler, MaryAnn

The meeting was called to order at 7:07 p.m.

1. Welcome / Introductions

2. Approve agenda and minutes: With only four board members present initially, those here agreed to delay this item until later in the evening.

3. Fresh Exchange – Thursday Buckman Market (Anna Halpin) Anna shared organic strawberries. It is a fund that increases low-income access to the Farmer’s Market. It is volunteer-based, in conjunction with SE Uplift. It is dollar for dollar match up to $5 with Buckman Dollars. People on food stamps can swipe their credit cards and say they want $20 to buy. They can buy fresh fruits, vegetables and plant starts. It is neighbors feeding neighbors and feedback has been extremely positive to date. Data for 8 of 10 markets, averaging $188 per market out of fresh exchange. Highest match has been about $275. Anna needs money to sustain the program through the Season (Sept. 23). Asking 4 neighborhood associations around the market if they could sponsor, and the request is for $280. SNA could advertise, wear T-shirts, send out info about upcoming events. We would announce that this particular market is being sponsored by the neighborhood association. The need is great. The next market is July 19. She would like to partner with a neighborhood association and try and obtaingrant funding. Anna is willing to write the grant, which opens in August, and it would be funds for next season. Reuben said it would be a qualified maybe, and we will discuss during our board meeting. We have not yet set our budget, discussed charitable contributions, etc. Will confer with the outgoing chair on how to deal with grants. Reuben asked Anna to write up an article for the newsletter.

4. p:ear – public art/strengthen community/mentor youth (Rodolfo Serna) Rodolfo was not present to discuss this item

5. Belmont Street Fair (John Barker) John Barker was not present to discuss this item. But Tim spoke on his behalf. The date is Sunday, Sept. 12. It is 10 to 5, same general format. The main change physically is more space for kids and areas off of Belmont, like the parking lot off of 34th and expanded coverage down Belmont, possibly going as far as 37th. Bill’s going to do the neighborhood green again. The size was right 24- foot circle. Alternative transportation is going to be human-powered or bike-centric. Jane mentioned she had a conversation with Za Zen owner, and she would like to note that her business was hurt by the booth set up last year. Karen provided a description in the kid’s area modeled after the swapshop. The opening up of the whole parking lot, so the Roost can be recreated as well as the Swap shop space. The Roost is for teens, the SwapShop for toddlers. DoJump also will have a big square space, so kids can come in and experience juggling, and play around with their stuff. The SwapShop will grow into the space.

6. Mural – Two Rivers Aikikai (Masaye Hoshide) Masaye would like a mural painted on the front of the building. We were hoping to put a new one on the front and apply for a grant with SE Uplift that are on the side of the building and add lighting because they get tagged. The grant will help clean them up and put new protectant on the top. They’re hoping to convey a sense of peacefulness and relaxation on that busy intersection. They don’t need financial support, but basically support for the mural itself. Two Rivers Aikikai is a non-profit association, martial arts, dosha (sp?) and has been around more than 20 years. Also have received support from BABA. Have put the word out to neighbors as well. Also working with local artist, Christa Brinn (sp?) Bill commented that he thinks it looks great. They’re trying to leverage financing and reach out to paint supply stores to see if they can donate some of the materials. The

artist itself teaches and rents out our space for yoga a couple of times a week, so she’s going to lower her rates as well. Gina made a motion to support the mural and its intentions. Heather seconded. Reuben read a note of support written by him as SNA president.

7. Update on Blair Community Gardens (Tim Brooks) BCG is located south of Stark St. and just west of 30th. It’s taken 5 years since the land was secured to coordinate. The neighborhood has raised $2000. The community gardens association has raised $2000 and Laurelhurst has raised $2000. Tim says he was hoping for a date, but it might be donated soil, donated hazelnut chips for paths, but as soon as the last piece comes together, a grand opening date will be set. Tim says they’ll publicize it in the SNA newsletter. We have enough money, with the beds, water source and commitment to upgrade the shed, there is no need for phasing. The board wondered how soon will people be contacted that there will be space available for that? Tim says if you were part of the former garden years ago, you’d be contacted first, then if you’re on the general community garden list and local and then others. They are hopeful we might be able to reserve a plot for members of the Laurelhurst Village themselves to keep it inter-generational. Mary Ann is delighted to hear it’s finally coming into play, but how can they do that without talking to parks

8. Committee Reports

Sustainability –Has not met. Reuben says they are shifting the committee’s focus to emergency preparedness for a while and will be reporting back on that in the newsletter and other news.

Land-Use and Transportation—Has not met, but Bill mentioned the meeting on Monday. It is now the second Monday of each month, which is a change. The big item is ClearWire tower, which is equivalent of a 10-story building. is the URL of a group that has formed specifically to oppose these towers. Big meeting on July 29 that’s this land is your land. A huge issue because our public land is disappearing, according to Mary Ann. Mary Ann also mentioned people have until Monday July 12, to appeal the Sunnyside Environmental School’s portable classrooms. Bill says as far as he

knows the board doesn’t have a position. Paul wrote a letter registering our interest in the issue but has registered no comment.

Crime Prevention – Chuck reported he has had a lot of trouble at Jay’s market at 48th & Belmont, had to repaint the whole East Wall. People keep hitting it constantly, but he says he is not aware of any crime issues in the neighborhood.

Southeast Uplift – They only had one agenda item today to elect their officers, according to Jane. Brian Agee is their new chair, vice-chair is Jeff West, Secretary was Julie Radcliffe, Treasurer is Pete Jacobsen. Then they went out there and ate ice cream.

9. Approve minutes – Delayed until Michele’s return.

10. Next meeting on Aug. 12

11. Announcements – George — Employment Self help it’s our one-year anniversary. He says they started with six people and now total about 16. He says there is a great need for us to help us out. Mary Ann mentioned SNA has donated tile for the Children’s Club necessitate by an overflow and asbestos abatement and have only been able to raise $2,500. So with our Belmont Street Fair coming up, maybe we could put up Mason Jars up and down the street, possibly SNA helping jumpstart those coffers. Concerts in the park announcement.

12. Adjourn