Greeting Sunnyside! Another year has passed and that means we had an election at the SNA. We had an excellent turnout at our May meeting for the elections and elected three new and one returning board member for two-year terms. Congratulations to our current VP Hannah Wallace and our new board members Daniel Mandel, Kendra Hansen, and Mike Thelin. Welcome to the board! We are excited to have your energy and ideas in service to the community. If you see them in the neighborhood, please share your ideas for the association with Daniel, Kendra, and Mike and thank them for stepping up to the challenge.
One of the things we did at the May meeting was to review some of the actions the SNA has taken this year–our ongoing projects and the discussions we highlighted for our community. These included:
• Holding an informative debate about the charter amendment that Portland passed last year;
• Learning about the environmental and health effects of gas-powered leaf
blowers and yard tools, and their alternatives;
• Relaunching our Land Use & Transportation committee with a new
charter that puts the needs of renters, who make up most Sunnyside residents, in the foreground;
• Bringing services to our neighbors living on the streets with the continued efforts of the Sunnyside Shower Project and the SNACC committee;
• Saving the cute painted planting barrels that were part of the Sunnyside Piazza, but were deemed a nuisance by PBOT, and moving them to the Sunnyside Environment School where children can use them for gardening projects.
• Bringing this newsletter every month to the entire neighborhood to help keep you informed.
The new board will be seated at our June board meeting which will mostly focus on organizing ourselves for the coming year. If you’d like to bring anything to our attention for action, please don’t hesitate to reach out to [email protected]. Please, also let us know if you have a community event you’d like to highlight on either our calendar or Facebook page.
Stay cool out there Sunnyside!