June 10, 2010 Board Of Directors Minutes

Sunnyside Neighborhood Association Board Meeting

Approved Minutes

June 10, 2010

Board Meeting Called to order at 8:15pm Draft Minutes got passed around

Action Items: Seat elected Board members: Paul Loney, Gina Binole, Heather Wilson, Bill Stites

Select officers, committee chairs.

Street Fair: (John Barker) John reads a proposal to be a co-sponsor of the Street Fair. The NA has done the music. John needs a volunteer coordinator. Booths will only be on Belmont. There will be 134 booths. Street will be blocked at ??? John needs 20 volunteers for 3 hour shifts to handle questions and keep people happy.

Planning meeting for the Street Fair will be 7 at Hoda’s on June 30th.

Reuben moves and Gina seconds to have the SNA be a co-sponsor. Approved unanimously.

Co-sponsor banners: Heidi shows us the new logo. Will have 40 banners from a grant for Belmont from 12th to 60th. Zupan’s pledged $4000 for the banners and BABA put in $4000.

Heather makes a motion that we co-sponsor the banners; heather seconded.

Reuben asks what the 8,000 pays for. Making the banners, hardware, mounting them, insurance.

Sponsorships for Mt. Tabor Concerts. We sponsored last year for $250.

Reuben moves to sponsor $250 for the concert series. Bill asks about the budget that was supposed to have been done. Reuben says we have not developed a budget.

Heather asks if the subcommittee can meet before the next board meeting. Reuben and Jane can meet. Tim is out of town. We will try.

Motion was made and approved to contribute $250. Motion passed with one abstention. Heather abstains.

Reuben is nominated as president. Elected unanimously. Michele nominates Paul Loney as vice. Elected unanimously. Michele nominated as Secretary. Passed unanimously

Jane is elected as Treasurer. Committee Chairs and liaisons.

Heather nominates Bill for BABA liaison. Heidi is Chair of BABA. Bill explains that the liaison represents the neighborhood to BABA meetings, coordinates Belmont St Fair. To raise neighborhood issues with the business district.

Bill is elected to represent at BABA.

Reuben nominates Chuck as the chair of the Crime Prevention Committee. Josh raises issue of his car being broken into and with a homeless person. He needs help to deal with homeless people respectfully. Paul says it would be good to go through Chuck.

Michele seconded the motion. Chuck is voted in.

Reuben nominates Jane and Reuben as co-chairs of the Sustainability Committee. Passed. Reuben explains that the committee has met for 3 years.

Reuben and Jane are unanimously elected.

Paul is nominated and elected as chair of Land Use and Transportation Committee. Bill is not co-chair but he handles the transportation part of it.

SEUL delegate from SN to the SEUL land use and Sustainability Committee. Paul is nominated.

SEUL Board liaison position. They meet the first Monday of the month at 7. Heather is nominated. Reuben seconds. Heather is elected.

Bill asks if there is a position on emergency preparedness. Jane is point on contact for emergency. Jane is voted in. Site council. Reuben nominates Gina for site council. Paul seconds. Both elected unanimously.

Reuben nominates Michele as Communications Coordinator – a go to person to the electronic media. Seconded by Heather. Michele is voted in. She says the the neighborhood can post to our Facebook page.

There’s a yahoo group for the SNA. Michele asks for a committee. Me and Gina volunteer.

As president, Reuben will chair the newsletter committee. Bill wants to discuss newsletter

frequency.

Fundraising for school play equipment ( Heather): On the section of park under the exclusive use permit, there is space for play equipment (in NE corer). Paul suggests getting hold of Jeff Milkes to approve the play equipment. Josh will get information about the equipment behind the SEUL building.

Pre-school and home school kids should have play equipment since the NA paid for the equipment that’s used on school grounds.

Weatherization (Heather): How to weatherize your home in historic houses. Coming Year Planning is tabled for next meeting. Newsletter articles. Bill, Jane,

Approval of March’s minutes. Approved. Gina abstained. April’s Board minutes. Approved. Heather abstained. Gina abstained.

Meeting adjourned at 9:39pm

June 10, 2010 General Meeting Minutes

Sunnyside Neighborhood Association General Meeting

Approved Minutes

June 10, 2010 Southeast Uplift, 3534 SE Main St. Portland OR 97214

Board Members: Paul Loney, Reuben Deumling, Jane Pullman, Michele Gila, Bill Stites, Heather Wilson, and Gina Binole. Absent: Tim Brooks, Chuck Lawrence.

Neighbors and Guests: Karen Hery, Rachel Bloom, Zoe Pedersen, Bill & Martha Wheeler, Matt Wickstrom, Heidi (last name?), Lee Greer, Josh Palmer, Dana Berterman (?), Jeanne Longley, John Barker, Mark Wheeler.

Meeting called to order at 7:03pm

Introductions

Approve agenda / circulate minutes:

Motion to approved modified agenda by Michele Gila; seconded by Reuben Duemling. Modified Agenda approved.

Minutes from March and April’s General Meeting handed out for approval later in the meeting. Election Results: Gina, Reuben, Paul, Heather, elected.

Matt – Portland Plan: Circulated flyer for the 25 year plan for city. Where we are now and where we want to be in 25 years. This is a people oriented plan, such as health, public safety, equity, civic engagement, arts and culture and land use, housing etc. Lot of patrons – Mult Co, tri-met, DEQ and other bureaus and agencies.

Phase 1 at beginning of year. Vision PDX. Phase 2 workshops wrapped up 3 weeks ago about where we are heading. Survey went out to everyone in Portland. Survey came up with a list of Directions based on survey. There is a more detailed list that Matt will send. Also on PDXPlan.com. This puts target number on goals to see if we are meeting goals. They are getting out into the community. Will be at Belmont St. Fair, Gay Pride, Sunday Parkways, etc. District liasons are assigned to groups that are not geographically defined, such as seniors.

Phase 3 will occur in the fall. They are developing strategies now. Intend to come up with 7 different draft strategies. In fall will be at community events and workshops. The plan will direct the City and partner agencies.

Question: When will plan be adopted? The completion would be in 2011 (see brochure).

Question: How does our spending on arts compare with other cities? Seattle and Denver spend about $7. How much success came from the last plan? Light rail was cited. This plan does what Other cities don’t do by including other things aside from transportation and

land use.

Paul says now the plan includes education, environment. They are trying to think creatively. Not a whole lot of money so they are trying to be creative.

Paul says the 20 minute neighborhood – almost everyone talked about green housing and different kinds of housing. The meeting Paul went to expressed that the 20 minutes neighborhood should be diverse.

Matt says also affordability – not just housing but also transportation.

Question: To what extent do the recommendations from the Peak Oil plan are integrated into the Portland plan? The Plan is not just new stuff. It incorporates other plans such as climate action plan, peak oil task-force, etc.

F/U Question: At some point there is the need to negotiate how different plans are arbitrated? Whose priorities get included? The Plan is learning what is important to people.

More living wage jobs Eduction Not aggressive enough on health water sheds and green.

Question: What concerns me in housing is nothing to preserve the historic character of housing. On the schools, it doesn’t’ say how to get to the goal. Does that mean tearing down? Does the plan address that the most sustainable thing is to keep the buildings rather than tearing them down? Matt says its important to provide comments.

Question: Any idea how many people are participating? 8, 000 plus 5000 plus 1800 in workshops and 75 hosted presentations. Matt said participating is been really good.

Matts email is Committee Reports

Reuben – will be meeting on Monday at 6pm. Several members of the board have been talking about incorporating more sustainability focus in our general meetings.

Are you planning of continuing the events? We are taking a break on that. We are going to help other sustainable committees with their events. Also we have presentation worked up that can be shared.

Jeanne says other neighborhoods will be having events. SE-S, neighborhood, Richmond, NW.

We will be bringing the Red Cross in to future meetings.

Question: There was an article in a newsletter about finding out how much water, electricity, gas, etc your neighbors are using. She expressed concern about people’s neighbors knowing – confidentiality. Reuben said we would be showing a graph.

Land Use and Transportation Committee: We meet the second Monday of every month at 7:30. The big issue is the Clearwire pole. They will come to our July 12th meeting at 7:30 at SEUL to show a mock up which they have to do to use a category 4 street. Hope people come because we have to show Commissioner Fritz the level of interest. Its serious because Clearwire plans to put lots of these poles in the neighborhoods. Paul explained this issue. Fritz said only 1 in 4 will be in neighborhoods. Too many!

Mary Ann Schwab is tying to get the location into the portland plan. Paul said Commissioner Fritz is not willing to take a proactive role. Irvington has 2 community groups. Ongoing liquor – Rice Junkies,

Will finalize Good Neighbor Agreement with Hall of Records. – half of what used to be It’s a Beautiful Pizza.

Cognito is going to close the back patio early. Will have live music indoors but have sound proofed. This is the other half of It’s a Beautiful Pizza.

Vegan place will be in Dixie mattress – it’s a collective. Paul said they want to go higher end. They bought the building. Bye and Bye.

Josh asks Does the committee review the cart in the empty lot next to Hoda’s? Sounds like a another cart is planning to move in.

Will Dixie Mattress be 2 places?

Karen asks if the SNA has weighed in on the portables? Paul explains we could not take a position because have not had a meeting about it yet because of timing. We did comment that any land they take up needs to be replaced. The federal grant says it has to remain open space forever. The only way to get around it is to provided the amount of open space elsewhere so the neighborhood will not loose the open space.

Rachel said on May 6th the application was deficient. She talked yesterday about the fence and the district said . . . she did not want to say. Paul said the City said the application is complete and by state law they have to send out notification but because we couldn’t

How do parents know what the status is? Paul said PPS has not been very communicative. The City said more people will be using the site and wants to know what the impact will be when you square footage. Because of a new building, it triggers a transportation study because there is more square footage.

Crime Prevention: No report.

SE UP Committee: No board report because we are in transition so we don’t have a representative. We will appoint a representative at tonight’s board meeting.

Approve Minutes: Feb– Michele moved to approve; second by heather. Minutes approved.

March – any comments? Corrections? Michele makes a motion to approve, Reuben second. Minutes approved.

April – no additions/ Reuben moves to adapt April minutes. Heather seconds. April minutes approved.

Announcements: Karen Hery. This will be the first year that the church will be on the black. We can now look at the boiler, etc. Final tenant is the metro council for the church for the whole city. They own the building so it give us more security. Karen is looking for more involvement in the useful goods exchange and the back to school exchange. Sarah Taylor has asked for them to move. Next option is to move it to the church Karen is looking for greeters. Also, Karen would like a SEUL information table. August 30th from noon to 7pm. Drop of in the morning. Last hour free. Looking for sporting gear, art supplies, binders. Its purposely a week before school starts.

Heather: From cite council. Sarah said the school will have several booths at the street fair and will give us the information for that.

Question: Anyone here on the neighborhood emergency plan?

Hollywood Video Site Under Renovation

We are the owners of the property on SE Hawthorne that was formerly occupied by Hollywood Video. We thought it would be helpful if we responded to the comments and concerns expressed in the recent emails and tell you about the plans for the redevelopment of the property.

We have owned this property for over 35 years and we have been very committed to the Hawthorne District and are members of the Hawthorne Boulevard Business Association.  Over the last 35 years we have seen this neighborhood transition and become the vibrant area that we are proud to be a part of.  We would not want to do anything that we felt was going to hurt the vitality of the neighborhood. When Hollywood Video vacated, we were left with a building that was in need of substantial repairs and improvements before it could be leased out again. While working with our architect, our goal was to improve the building as much as possible to make the building more active and pedestrian friendly.  The solid brick wall along Hawthorne that was put in by the previous medical clinic tenant some 20 years ago always seemed very pedestrian unfriendly.  We felt that wall elevation should have as much glass as possible to help tie into the pedestrian activity and compliment the surrounding businesses. The other building window systems and the main storefront in the center of the building are also being replaced and there will be an addition of building canopies along both Hawthorne and the east building front.  Also, the building has to be brought up to current seismic codes making it safer for the tenants and the neighborhood. We are also relocating the garbage enclosure so that it not so much upfront and visible.

The parking lot not only needing repaving but the subsurface needed to be rebuilt as well. We are putting in a bio-swale in the parking lot to capture the surface water runoff and re-landscaping the entire site.  We are widening the sidewalk section from its current 8’ width to 10’ along Hawthorne from the driveway entry east all the way to the corner of 36th Avenue making for a much better pedestrian passage.  We are also installing quite a few biking stalls to hopefully lessen the amount of car traffic going to the building. In order to divide the building into smaller spaces we have to do a lot of electrical and plumbing work. We feel when finished the property we be a lot more visual pleasing and inviting to the neighborhood.

When we were marketing the building for lease we had almost no inquires from what you would call “local” businesses.  Umpqua Bank, who will be at the end of the building along Hawthorne, approached us first as they have evidently been wanting for some time to open a community branch in the Hawthorne District. They will have a neighborhood focused branch they are very intent on providing a unique and friendly customer service. When Goodwill approached us our first reaction was very cautious. But they said they wanted to make this into what they call a “boutique” store similar to the one at SW 10th & SW Taylor Sts. The merchandise at that store and the way it is displayed is more like a traditional department store. This new Goodwill model appeals to a diverse group of shoppers of various age groups.  There will also not be any outdoor drop-off of goods whatsoever at this location. These commitments by Goodwill as to this new specific use are contained in their lease.  We now feel that Goodwill will fit well into this neighborhood helping to draw even more people to Hawthorne to take advantage of the numerous shops and restaurants.

When Hollywood Video was the tenant in the building, they also managed the property themselves. It seems to us that they did not do a very good job keeping up the appearance of the exterior of the building, landscaping and parking lot. We will now be handling the property management ourselves and we will maintain the property and its appearance in a much better condition.

Thank you,

Kalberer Properties, LLC

August 12th Meeting Agenda (proposed)

Sunnyside General Meeting Agenda

August 12, 2010, 7:00-8:00pm at the SEUL headquarters (SE 35th & Main)

  1. Introductions (3 min)
  2. Approve agenda, circulate minutes (2 min)
  3. Clearwire – wireless transmitter tower (Steven Topp, 20 min)
  4. Safeway remodel on Hawthorne (Diane Phillips, 10 min )
  5. Introducing ‘Hawthorne Open’ event (Kevin Levy, 3 min)
  6. Formation of working group to focus on the long term health and livability of the SES Park and its surroundings (10 min)
  7. Committee Reports, abbreviated (8 min)

Sustainability
Land Use and Transportation

Crime Prevention

Southeast Uplift

  1. Approve minutes (2 min)
  2. Next meeting on September 9
  3. Adjourn

Belmont Street Fair coming September 12

Planning for the 2010 Belmont Street Fair is underway and we would love to hear from you. We are always looking for fresh ideas, and we need volunteers for the event and to help with event planning. This year the fair takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday September 12. This has been a great community building event for the neighborhood, and Belmont Street will again be car-free between SE 33rd and SE 37th Avenues. Planning meetings are scheduled for the fourth Wednesday of each month, beginning at 7 p.m., at Hoda’s Middle Eastern Restaurant. The next two meetings are July 28 & August 25th. This year we’ll extend vending east on Belmont and keep it out of the parking lots. This would increase capacity and reduce congestion, and it would allow the kids’ area to expand to SE 34th Avenue. SNA plans to continue coordinating music, the alternative transportation expo, and setting up the neighborhood green at the intersection of SE 34th and Belmont (see photo). We are also hoping to expand the farmer’s market booth, which last year was teamed up with Sunnyside Environmental School students to raise money for the school’s gardens.

2009 Belmont Street Fair