A book house is like a tiny, free bookstore that you can take books from and give books to. You find book houses in front of some peoples’ houses. There are a lot of book houses in our neighborhood. We decided to make a map of all the book houses in Sunnyside by riding our bikes around. It was fun; we got to know our neighborhood better and found a lot of cool book houses.
These were our favorites:
• Best curation – 36th/Yamhill – A tall book house owned by a used-to- be-teacher
• Best decorated – A TIE between 32nd/ Main (collage and painted pictures on the outside and lots of picture books inside) and 44th/Main (landscape paintings on the sides + a rooster on top!)
• Personal favorite – 33rd/Washington– This is the book house on our street; it has lots of kids and picture books and is always full
• Honorable mention – 34th/Salmon – This book house is planted in a pot!
• Biggest – Main between 34th/35th – A huge book house with LOTS of books
Two other great things we found:
• Wishing Tree (36th/Main)
• Street murals (42nd/Washington
Sunnyside students, please submit ideas or a review to [email protected].
Live near any of the blocks marked in black on the book house location map? We need your help! Contact [email protected] to volunteer for our delivery service.